KRIEGER’S NURSERY FAMILY HISTORY
Krieger’s Nursery was founded somewhere around 1930 by Ernestina Krieger as a means of supporting herself and her five children after the death of her husband, Fred Krieger. Tina grew strawberries, raspberries, blackcaps (black raspberries), blackberries, dewberries and grapes. She also started growing nursery plants for other nurseries.
Tina’s son Adolph, along with his wife Anna, continued forth in the business. In the late 1940’s they bought 40 additional acres and planted blueberries. They were joined in the business by their son Larry, and then Larry’s wife Marilyn, who is still active in Krieger’s Nursery today. The four played active rolls in the nursery, purchasing more land and expanding their plant offerings. They incorporated in 1965 as Krieger’s Wholesale Nursery. Adolph continued working with the nursery until his passing.
Larry continued to expand Krieger’s plant offerings, even experimenting with propagating new varieties. Because of the nursery’s commercial blueberry production, Larry and Marilyn became heavily involved in the blueberry industry, traveling all over the world promoting Michigan’s blueberries. For many years Krieger’s Nursery also sold annual flowers, with Marilyn specializing in Pandora geraniums.
When Larry became ill, Larry and Marilyn’s son Mark became more involved with the nursery, along with simultaneously running a large cattle operation in Indiana. After Larry’s passing, Mark took over operation of the nursery along with his mother, Marilyn, and wife Jame. Today, along with their parents and grandmother, you may find Mark and Jame’s son Peter supervising greenhouses and fields and daughter Anna in the office.